October 05, 2004

eastward bound souls

Somewhere between Abu Dhabi and Dubai at five o’clock in the morning, at 31 degrees Celcius and 97 percent humidity, the fog is very thick – 50 feet visibility at most. Cars with four way flashers blinking whisper mystically along at 120 Kmh, appearing disappearing and reappearing in front and in the rear view. Some braver Desert native souls in Nissan 3.0J’s, Bims & Mercs whirl by at 140 or more, trailing curled turbulent evidence in the fast lane just to the left of me. With no radio noise to fatigue, with headlamps lowered to their adjustable lower extent & secondary driving lights on for the sake of clearer vision, I set my pace against the norm. A fresh cup of Abu Dhabi National Oil Company coffee graces the cup-holder. My mind wanders in the quiet auto interior hum. And I think to myself, what a wonderful world. And I think to myself, what a wonderful world.

Surrounded by the desert fog I am at once alone - alienated from that which I cannot see fifty-one feet in front and behind of me and yet partaking in this momentary, murky highspeed gathering alongside all these other visible, eastward-bound souls. Our collective quest lies just beyond that which we can barely decipher on the wide enshrouded highway section we are presently seeing, an inviting exit.

A Semi, bearing a forty foot container looms suddenly out of the mist to the right of me and adrenaline flows for a few seconds, driving the need to sleep right the heck out of me. Almost there mon. No worries.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?